Botox is the only method that can help minimize dynamic wrinkles and prevent and reverse static wrinkles that have already developed. Many individuals undervalue Botox because they think the result only lasts 3 months but they don’t understand that over time one needs less and less Botox and the skin progressively heals. A short year of Botox treatments can oftentimes reverse 10 to 15 years of accumulated wrinkles. Dr. Lam offers a very painless experience and a very balanced result with many patients flying in from across the world just for his Botox treatments. He emphasizes the value he provides in which a few treatments of his Botox can be equal to years of treatment elsewhere.
- There are two aspects of Botox that one should keep in mind: a short-term outcome and a long-term outcome. The short-term effect of Botox only lasts about 3 to 4 months where an individual looks exceptionally better. However, every treatment of Botox contributes to a long-term reversal of wrinkles and prevention of further wrinkles. Typically, Dr. Lam recommends a year of treatment for moderate to significant wrinkles and then progressively less often as a preventative measure. Nevertheless, an individual can come as often as one likes to maintain the short-term outcome.
- Wrinkles will either become progressively better over time with Botox (requiring less and less Botox), or if one does not do Botox the wrinkles will get worse and worse over time. Dr. Lam likes the analogy to exercise and diet: the more exercise and better diet someone engages in the healthier one becomes and the contrary is true. One either moves toward greater health or toward less health. Similarly, the younger one starts with Botox the fewer wrinkles one will ever develop over time.
- The more Botox one does the better and better one’s skin becomes and the healthier the collagen becomes so that even with less and less Botox over time the skin can continue to improve.
- Botox can also be used for so many other interesting therapies beyond wrinkles like facial sweating, gummy smile, sagging necks, downturned lips, teeth grinding/a wide face, and migraines. Dr. Lam performs Botox for these advanced treatments all the time and is an expert at using Botox for these many types of interventions.
- The crow’s feet should be treated before the wrinkle begins to go down the face when Botox has limited effect. Dr. Lam always cautions patients depending on the severity of their current wrinkles not to let the crow’s feet become too deep or the treatment will not be as effective. Many individuals with moderate crow’s feet also believe that the sides of the eyes may not be worth it because the result lasts a bit shorter in duration and may not entirely efface the wrinkles but Dr. Lam believes it is still critical to continue treatments to avoid progression of these wrinkles. Dr. Lam divides crow’s feet wrinkle severity into 3 grades. Grade 3 wrinkles are hard to completely treat with Botox.
For more information on the science of Botox, please click here
How often do I need to do Botox for wrinkle reduction?
Ideally, an individual continues to perform Botox every 3 months. However, based on cost or time constraints, it is not as critical to come in that often after the wrinkles begin to fade. If one has more moderate to significant wrinkles, Dr. Lam typically recommends at least a year of consistent Botox every 3 months before beginning to come in less often. One can always add additional treatments for short-term benefits before major events like birthdays, weddings, holiday parties, etc.
How often do I need to do Botox for jaw reduction?
Typically, Botox jaw reduction can provide immediate or very quick (a few days to a week) improvement in pain from clenching and teeth grinding. For those who grind their teeth, oftentimes they need the treatment every 6 months or so but in some cases may need it progressively less often. For individuals who only desire to have a slimmer appearing face, typically treatment is repeated at 6 months, then 9 months after that, and oftentimes yearly to maintain the result. That depends on the individual. To see the effect of jaw slimming, one needs to wait at least 6 weeks before that is evident.
How often do I need to do Botox for gummy smile?
A gummy-appearing smile can make an individual not look as attractive. Botox can provide a simple and long-term result for those seeking this improvement. The first couple of times the result only lasts a short time like 2 months. However, typically by the third treatment, one can progress to a 3-month interval, then pretty quickly to 4 months and oftentimes many individuals only need to come in twice a year (or less often) to maintain the result.
How does Botox for sagging necks work?
Botox cannot improve necks that are truly sagging. Only a facelift can correct that problem. Dr. Lam uses Botox for individuals with necks that are beginning to sag and to show the platysmal bands (the vertical bands that are also known as a turkey gobbler). For someone with early neck banding, Botox can help reverse the sagging and extend the time for when an individual would need a facelift. The way Botox works to reverse neck sagging is by blocking the muscles that pull downward. By weakening these muscles, the remaining muscles of the face and upper neck pull upward to reverse neck sagging.
Does Dr. Lam perform Botox for underam sweating?
He has performed Botox for underarm sweating for years. However, with the advent of Mira Dry (which he offers), he believes that there is now a safe, less expensive, and permanent alternative to Botox treatments. If you prefer Botox to reduce underarm sweating instead, Dr. Lam would be happy to do that for you.
Does Dr. Lam perform Botox for hand and feet sweating?
These treatments require too much Botox (can be very costly) and are too uncomfortable to perform. Dr. Lam has elected not to perform these procedures for patients. Currently, Mira Dry is not offered to correct hand and feet sweating but is undergoing clinical trials for these indications and hopefully will be approved in the future.
Is Botox truly safe? I thought it was a poison.
Botox has been around since the mid-1970s and has been used for approximately 800 clinical indications according to Time Magazine in tens of millions of patients for over 40 years. Dr. Lam even had his naturopath test it and she found it to be perfectly safe. Dr. Lam has used it and performs it for his wife and his parents.
I’m afraid of needles. Does the procedure hurt?
Dr. Lam has truly mastered the art of painless Botox and the experience is completely different from any other provider. Topical anesthetic takes time and is not that effective. Instead, Dr. Lam performs nerve distraction via a multi-level vibration technique so that you can barely feel any needles and usually none at all.
For additional FAQs on Botox, please click here
For more videos on Botox, please click here
For more photos on Botox, please click here
Botox treatments are performed by Dr Lam himself, at his center in Dallas, Texas. Botox is used by Dr. Lam for the treatment of wrinkles and to treat excessive sweating. To schedule a Botox consultation call 1-888-866-3388 or email us . The details of your Botox treatment (both the limitations of Botox and the benefits of Botox, in your particular situation) will be explained to you during your Botox consultation with Dr. Lam and his team.