What to expect during healing
Day of Procedure
- Prior to the procedure, your skin will be cleaned to remove make-up, moisturizer, and natural skin oils.
- Remove contact lenses (if wearing them).
- Numbing cream will be applied for approximately 45 minutes to one hour and removed prior to the procedure.
- Depending on the area to be treated, Dr. Lam may give a local anesthesia injection to numb certain areas.
During the procedure
- Keep your eyes closed during the procedure. An eye shield will also be worn.
- You may experience a sensation of warmth (like mild sunburn).
After the procedure
- Cooling measures will be used to decrease discomfort following the procedure.
- A layer of Aquaphor will be applied to your treated area.
- Reapply as necessary for 24 – 48 hours.
- As soon as tolerated switch to Oxygenetix moisturizer and foundation. This is an important step for healing .Be sure to keep a protective layer to the skin.
- Your skin will feel warm like sunburn for up to 3 to 6 hours or slightly longer and your face will be red and possibly swollen.
- Do not cleanse your skin for 24 hours.
- Rest and drink plenty of hydrating fluids during your recovery phase.
- Avoid strenuous exercise, bending, straining, and lifting heavy objects for the first 4 days to avoid excessive swelling and pain.
- For discomfort you can take an over-the-counter pain medication such as Tylenol or Ibuprofen.
- Sleep with your head elevated above your heart for the next couple of nights. This will help minimize swelling especially around the eye area.
Day 2 (day after procedure)
- Gently wash your skin with Ova cleanser or a gentle cleanser such as Cetaphil. Use distilled water instead of tap/shower water. Be very careful as your skin is fragile. Do not rub your skin dry; instead gently pat it with a soft cloth.
- Use tepid Distilled water only to wash your face in the healing process.
- Always wash your hands before touching your face.
- You may cleanse your skin 2 to 3 times daily.
- After 24 – 48 hours use the Oxygenetix moisturizer/ foundation regime after cleansing.
- If your skin becomes itchy you make take Benadryl.
Days 3 to 5
- Your skin will feel tight; try to avoid expressive facial movements.
- Your skin will begin to peel /flake; it is important not to pick or rub your skin.
- After cleansing you may use a solution of 1 teaspoon of white vinegar to 2 cups of tepid water gentle dab on with a cloth or spray bottle to reduce irritation. Afterwards follow with rinsing with water and the
- Oxygenetix regime. You may do this 2 to 3 times daily for comfort.
- Mild acne flare/or milia (tiny, white bumps) may occur. These should resolve on their own.
Days 4 and 5
- Regenica can also be added at this time. Apply following cleansing and wait 5 minutes before applying
- Oxygenetix Foundation and Moisturizer.
- We strongly recommend the use Sunscreen SPF 30 when in the sun to protect your new skin after the healing period.(1-2 weeks)
- Oxygenetix foundation contains a natural sunscreen. For other areas please use a SPF 30 with Titanium
- Dioxide and Zinc Oxide.
- Please call for any post-treatment concerns, signs of infection, increased itching, pain, increased redness, warm to touch, or drainage)
- Remember to schedule an appointment in one week post-procedure.
- Please do not use any facial scrubbing devises (example Clarisonic)for at least one month following procedure
For questions or concerns, please call our office at 972-312-8188.